One of these brothers, Eugene Outerbridge, had paved the way for the establishment of the United States Lawn Tennis Association in 1881.
As Staten Island saw an increase of housing developments appearing on its landscape, fox hunting became less practical and ceased by 1915. Despite this, RCCC continued to emerge as a prestigious and popular establishment for a growing number of golf and lawn tennis sportsmen.
Financial considerations, along with the growth of Staten Island, led to a golf course revision in 1956. It made sense to sell the original 1st and 18th holes as both posted par threes and shared the Clubhouse side of Todt Hill Road, an increasingly busy thoroughfare. These were replaced by the present-day 11th and 12th holes, and a Pro Shop Caddy House was built. Unfortunately, the sale separated the Clubhouse from the golf course. However, this was only a minor inconvenience, which the members overlooked gracefully.
In 1989, the State of New York demonstrated its sincere interest in Staten Island’s Greenbelt by purchasing the golf course, then giving RCCC a 99-year lease.